I am NOT one of those people who never eat desserts. For me dinner is not complete without a sweet treat to signal my brain that the kitchen is closed! Before I found my “craving buster” my dessert of choice was a cup of rooibos chai tea with honey and almond milk and two pieces of gluten-free toast with butter and honey. If you do the math you’ll see that my dessert was pretty much a meal unto itself.
As the mother of a young child my fitness goal is to stay healthy and fitting in my clothes with the least amount of effort in terms of time expended. So I decided that I needed to find a treat that was satisfying with much fewer calories! I needed a “craving buster.” My other personal health goal is for everything I eat on a regular basis to be as nutritious as possible. I eat well 90% of the time and let loose the other 10%.
My current craving buster is a cup of Vanilla Nut Teeccino and 6-dark-chocolate covered almonds which comes in at 20 and 115 calories respectively. If I don’t have the almonds around my second choice is the Teeccino and 2-squares of Endangered Species Cacao Nib chocolate at 20 and 56 calories. You can find my craving-busters available for purchase here at my Amazon store.
I say “current” craving buster because it took me many steps to get to where I am now. At first I started eliminating the almond milk from my chai and the butter from my toast. Then I started experimenting with alternate drinks that I enjoyed without modifying which is what lead me to Teeccino, an extremely satisfying herbal coffee alternative that has many nutritional benefits. Then I went in search of dark chocolates that I enjoyed (I’m not a big chocolate lover), because I heard that it could be very satisfying in small quantities. I must have tried about 20-different bars before I found the Endangered Species bar that is my current go to. The key with dark chocolate is to make sure it is at least 70% cacao to minimize the amount of dairy and sugar you are getting. Here is an article with some of the health benefits of dark chocolate.
Do you have a treat that helps keep your sweet tooth in check? I’d love to hear about it! Be a spark in the world!